It's that time again...General Conference. Every LDS family knows what I'm talking about... I love it NOW, as an adult....but as a child...totally dreaded it. I think it was the getting up EARLY, going to the church, having to sit still and NOT fall asleep, in a very crowded, warm room with dim lights....I soooo love the advancements of technology that have given us such wonderful things as CABLE...so that we make it PJ sunday - watch conference, make waffles, enjoy our family and still be able to take notes on the talks that are given and be comfortable all at the same time.
Today though, in the morning session of conference, President Monson was totally speaking to me. Lately I've just been going through the motions. I've had to have several wake up calls. Things in my personal life haven't been all roses - our finances being the number one source of aggravation....trying to sell our Orient house and avoid foreclosure, facing the possibility of bankruptcy as the economy continues to go in a downward spiral, taking Stann's means of providing for our family with it....debating whether or not to go back to work, or school, the list goes on and on. These are just some things I HATE talking about - as it makes it more 'real' to me...and well, this is where I would totally take after an ostrich and like to bury my head in other details - or pretend that life's just rosy.....but it's not! And after hearing our prophet speak, I can finally say - "It's okay!". My life doesn't have to be perfect, and I need to remember I can't control every aspect of my life....
Sure, some aspects of my life are beyond my control right now - and pardon my linguistics, some parts (financial!) totally SUCK! But, he (Pres. Monson), totally nailed it on the head when he said that "we need to start finding joy in the journey, NOW". To not be waiting for the next phase of our lives to begin....or thinking 'life will be better when'....whatever it is we're waiting on comes around....because there's always something we can find joy in...no matter the circumstance.
This has always been a source of contention / lesson / opportunity for me. Finding the 'Happy' in a situation - or looking at what others have - what I don't etc...Have you ever heard Sarah Evans' song "Lookin' for something more"? This has totally been me. I seem to ALWAYS be looking for the next best thing that will come along and make me happy. The lyrics in the chorus totally ring true with me...
"Oh, I keep lookin, I keep lookin for - I keep lookin for something more - I always wonder what's on the other side of the number 2 door, yeah, I keep lookin', lookin for something more...."
And TODAY I hit my "AHA" moment. My epiphany. And I've made myself the promise to follow through. And it's NOT going to be easy to keep. Today, I've promised myself that I will:
- Not sweat the small stuff. There's more to life than money and what you can/can't buy or what you can/can't pay for. If we continue to pay our tithes and do as the Lord's asked us, he'll provide. I need to have more FAITH in that system....!
- Enjoy my kids more - keeping in the forefront of my mind that they're only little for a small while, and I don't want to be kicking myself 10 years from now, remembering that I was too busy scrubbing a floor and not kissing 'owies' better and just ENJOYING my sons....
- Enjoy my husband. Stop stressing about the house, or even how it looks some days....HOPEFULLY my friends will still love me with my house a mess, and dishes in the sink...and if they don't, well, I guess I'll have to make new ones! ;0)
- STOP comparing myself to others. I am what I am. I just happen to be 5'10" and 60 lbs OVER the weight I want to be....
- I'm going to smile more. :) I've got lots and LOTS of blessings that I need to be thankful for!!!
- I'm going to enjoy my friends more - and not be so much of a hermit. Book club beach trip, here I come!!! ;0)
I just LOVE our prophet. :)
Now I've got to 'GO and DO'.....!
5 comments:
Amen, Liz good stuff in conference! I'm so glad your coming this weekend. You already do smile tons and I'm with you on the being happy now part!
As an older, more mature (?) person....you go, girl. The time to be happy is now! What you said could have been typed by any of your many, many friends.
Ha. Liz, I'm so glad you're in the family. Lol.
Awesome post, Liz. I could relate to so much of what you said and I had a lot of the same feelings about conference. Thanks for putting it into words so perfectly!
Amen, sister! Oregon Coast Here We COME!
Post a Comment