“As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey.” ~ Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Waterloo?

The war wages on. I'm determined that my children are NOT going to be my Waterloo. Not today anyways.

Because, I think I'm winning the war. (Long-term, that is....although I've made some sacrifices in the short-term arena....namely, my Pyrex. I'll post pics and tirade about that later though.)

I got some super-excellent parenting advice from a friend (BETHANY P. - THANK YOU!!!) on how I can get the boys' attention.
First order of business....
READING THIS.

And well, it goes a LOOOONG way that Bethany's youngest son Trevor, was A LOT like my Josh IS at age 2. And Matt at age 3. So, she also gave me the name and number of a therapist (Stop thinkin' couches and "How do you feel?"). This particular lady, is a play therapist. Specializing in holistic approaches to help you get your childs behavior and actions in hand. So, I'm gonna call her.

ONTO the SECOND....

I'm going to be implementing some of the ideas/exercises I found on-line, to help the boys deal with their excess energies. I've been talking with my Mom and Mother-In-Laws....and I really think my boys need MORE structured play. Specific play....More like vestibular therapy, games and exercises that will help them get out their excess energies, and help them improve their attention skills, listening, and general behavior when we go out in public.

Specifically, (just in case you want to try some of these at home....!)

*More swinging. For whatever reason, it helps.
*More jumping. I'll be buying an exercise trampoline for indoors here pretty quickly.
*More 'hammering'. For whatever reason, the motion of 'hitting' something with a hammer gives their joints the needed exercise/release that they need to settle down.
*Wrapping them up like a burrito - but also using more touch-type therapy....you almost 'tickle' them...and the motion of it helps soothe them?....Bethany can explain it way better. It also gets us more one-on-one play.
*Joint massage. This one was the one that actually allowed Matt to settle/calm himself so he could take a nap. We'll be doing THIS several times a day, I think! LOL.

Bethany P. tried these exercises with Trevor with awesome results. And, like I said...I tried the last of the exercises with Matthew, and NO JOKE...he was out cold, in his own bed, within a half an hour. (That was simply amazing!!)

CROSS YOUR FINGERS....

AND TOES....

I'll letcha know how it goes!! :D

3 comments:

Carrie said...

OOOOOO fun! LOL! The fun things we get to figure out for our kids! Good luck and keep us updated!

Kelly said...

Good Luck Liz, I say try anything until you find something that works! Sorry I missed playgroup yesterday were all super sick!

Laci said...

I read that book when my girls were little. Liked it alot...