Well, I've had a first.
We had a Sandy Police Officer come to our home today. From the Child Services Department.
Let me preface by saying that YESTERDAY - Josh and Matt got into my craft stuff. They took my embossing tool - which is really just a stripped down hair dryer that heats to a bajillion degrees in order to melt the embossing powder into a liquid then dry into a solid...
Well, if you know my boys, then you know that they plugged it in. It was plugged in for less than 2 minutes, but long enough to heat the end of the barrel. I quickly took it away, but when I did, it burned all of us. (Matt, Josh and myself). Matt's burn was super quick - it didn't even make a noticeable mark...it went away quickly. Same with mine. (Both of ours were on the fleshy part of our palms). Josh, however....tried taking it away from me - and he ended up getting burned on his arm. A perfect, thin, circle now exists on his forearm...it's already scabbed and will probably flake off in the next two days....but we iced it and kissed it better and eventually all was forgotten.
However, I didn't think anything of it. It was just the boys being themselves....getting into stuff....I sat them down and explained that they would get really, really hurt, the discussion was about five minutes long or so - and then I didn't think anything of it.
So when the boys went to school today, I sent them on their merry way....I went to the temple for an endowment session - my cousin Jason went through for the first time today....and my Mom stayed home today with my boys, so Stann and I could go.
Now...I need to clarify...I don't blame the school for reporting that Joshua had a burn on his arm. The system in place is there for a reason. And if I'd had the presence of mind...I'd have called his teacher and told her. But I simply forgot.
So, the police officer questioned me (I had just got home), I explained what had happened...though it didn't stop the lump from entering into my throat....or the wave of dread and even the feeling of defensiveness that seemed to surge from inside me....I mean...it was a total accident...we all got burned...and it's not like I beat my children...? Or hurt them intentionally...? Though, since they don't know me...I guess they wouldn't know that.
But it freaked me the heck out. It also saddens me....I mean...our family's name is now on some "watch list" somewhere. THAT worries me. My boys are walking magnets for injuries! {They come by this HONESTLY....both Stann and I spent more than our fair share of time in the Emergency Room growing up....I'm not entirely certain we didn't pass each other in the halls at Kaiser Sunnyside...LOL}
I'm hoping I'm not the only one this has happened to...?! This has NOT helped my stress level this week. I almost feel like I need to wrap the boys up in bubble wrap - or something! - to prevent any further injuries....I feel now like I need to explain every injury the boys have on them...they're so physical! With each other! With how they play! I mean, we rough house A LOT....!
The officer was really kind....but, no offense to her....I don't want to see her on my porch again. :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This has happened to friends of mine so try not to worry about it. You know you did nothing wrong and your a great mamma!
holy crap... that would scare me too... dang bad people that have to ruin it all for us so that people have to be worried about parents hurting their children... so that the good parents get in trouble for accidents...
sorry that happened... you seem like such a GREAT mom... We'll all vouch for you :)
Post a Comment