
While my blog has been neglected, other aspects of my life have not! I've actually been able to get my house cleaned, start preparing for a Yard Sale for this Friday and Saturday (we are getting rid of EVERYTHING it seems like!) But since today is Mother's Day, I thought I'd actually take a minute and do what I like to do. :) BLOG!
I have been blessed with a GREAT Mom. (That's her above, holding Josh) I don't always see eye to eye with her, and sometimes I don't like to hear that I look like her (no offense mom, just don't like being told I'm a cookie cutter!) but she is a GREAT mom and I wouldn't be the person I am today without her. I share her love of books, music, art, cooking, love of family and the gospel. (It's also because of her that I became baby-crazy by age 5. I had ALWAYS wanted to be a Mommy - although I had other plans to also be a doctor! Talk about taking a detour in life!!) I also share the height, build, eyes (mine are a different color though!) and the same baby fine hair that seems to elude most hair dressers on how to style and cut! (I have TONS of hair....it's just baby fine and will friz even when I open the fridge). I also inherited her skin. Mom's got GREAT skin (courtesy of her Mother - see pic below - but more on her later!) Anyways...I digress. I have a great Mom. I was lucky enough that I didn't do anything too bad through out my high school days - although I seem to have made up for any lost time during my YSA days. ;0) Gotta give props to Mom and Dad - even at my wildest they still loved me and helped me reel myself back in! So, THANKS Mom. I love you....even more now that I'm a Mom myself. I TOTALLY get why some days you said your name wasn't Mom, but Mrs. Jones. (sigh)

OK....now onto another BIG influence in my life. My Grandma Robertson. Grandma was ALWAYS there. She paid 1/2 of my EFY tuition (big deal for me!), made it to every play, concert, etc., and we converged to her house each birthday for homemade cake & ice cream YUM! (And boy could she cook! Thanks for teaching us!!!) Grandma was a bigger influence on my life than she realized. She managed to instill a love of cleaning in me.....although she never realized it - and it's amazing in itself, since, as a child, I was a slob! But after I got out on my own, some dormant part of my brain took over and turned me into the anal-retentive neat freak that you all know and love. (You think I'm kidding - ask me about the "cycle" of a dishrag's life....FYI: They start out as washcloths - ONLY for bathing, face washing. THEN, after it gets dingy or stained, it moves to a dishcloth - to be used only for washing dishes and sometimes the occassional countertop, then when it gets a little thinner or worn it gets demoted to a dishrag. Dishrags are used ONLY on the floors and SOMETIMES to clean the counters/tops....after that, it gets thrown out....but usually there's not much left! I've managed to instill this knowledge to my husband and his brother Shaun. I'm working with my sons on understanding the system....Again...I digress!) It breaks my heart sometimes that my boys won't know her - or rather don't remember her. But they do have a sweet and kind substitute, in my Grandpa's current wife Jessie. (THANKS JESSIE!!! You're a GREAT Great-Grandma!) Anyways....I'm just feeling nostalgic. Grandma passed away exactly 6 years ago and I'm missing her. Her funeral will be remembered ALWAYS.....(The Jolley Boys know what I'm talking about....!) But I miss her still each day. I have that pink afghan (on the chair behind her head) and it's only recently lost her scent. :( There was something really comforting in having her scent - like she never really left! She always smelled soooo good! Like roses or powder...? I don't remember, but it was a very comforting smell! And her skin!!! Sooooo soft! So very white and very smooth. :) Good genes Grandma - THANKS!
(Hey! I got 3 generations on 1 page! Woo-hoo!)
Anways....I hope you all have a great Mother's Day....there's sooo many women who've helped to mold and shape me into the woman and mother I am today.....I have WONDERFUL sisters (Lee, Sarah, Diana & Katie), Aunt's whom I love very, very much (Susan, Laura, Sharon & Joanne - THANK YOU!), great teachers (Durrell Annis, Carol Johnson & Debbie Robertson....), GREAT friends (I can't list them all! But you know who you are! :) and WONDERFUL in-laws (Kathie, Grandma Betty, Chrissy Ann & Aimee), who've all helped me be a better person and friend, by all of their GREAT, GREAT examples. (Kinda sounds like an acceptance speech at an awards show, huh?! - Sorry about that! I just wanted to tell you all I love you very, very much and hope all you amazing women (those that are moms and those that aren't) have a GREAT Mother's Day!
2 comments:
Yay Liz! Great blog entry! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY and see ya Wednesday!
That was so awesome... You are so sweet I so lad that I'm able to see whats going on in your life and to get to know you better ( seeing as how we have always lived so far away from each other) I miss Grandma too... When Boyd was blessed a few weeks ago I swear she was there. ( Laura and Sharon were saying the samething)I couldn't stop thinking of her and the closing song was one we sang at her funeral I couldn't even sing the song I was so chocked up... those were very kind words... Thank you (I Hope you had a wonderful Mothers day)
Post a Comment