“As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey.” ~ Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Monday, September 17, 2012

Summer Unloaded

September 17th and I'm finally posting summer pictures.

Egad!

Some of the pics are in order....some aren't!

We took a trip with the Mac Fam to Seattle - we pretty much did our own "things" occasionally getting together with the rest of the family.  We visited the Seattle Aquarium....
  
The boys thought the picture was great...looking like they were riding on the back of a killer whale.


The otters were a crowd pleaser...so flippin' cute!

We took a harbor tour...FYI...no one got seasick.  It was a little wavy but not awful.


Grandma sat by Joshy...


Matty by Chrissy...


I got to sit by Hunky Hubby...


That's either Qwest Field or Safeco Stadium....can't remember which though I've been in both! lol


Uncle Jimmy at the reptile exhibits at the Zoo..


Daddy helping the boys get a better view of all those cool snakes and turtles...


Chrissy and Joshy hanging out in front of the Space Needle while we waited for everyone to get back from parking cars (it was a hike...FYI).


Joshy wanted to take a picture of Mommy & Chrissy in front of the space needle.  That's his finger if you couldn't figure that out... ;)


The Space Needle.

Have I mentioned I have a fear of heights?  No?  Well, I do.  A MAJOR FEAR of heights.


So it was no small feat to go out and take this picture.  It was also another huge feat to let the kids wander around with Hunky Hubby and not keep them by my side the entire time!


Group photo of those that went up!


We went to Wild Waves on the last day....No pictures of the swimsuits...we hung out at the kiddy section for most of the day...although the kids did awesome on the tube rides and were AWESOME on their own!  One of the kids' favorite rides was this kangaroo one...we went on it with them...I flew out of my seat! It seriously has some "kick" to it... (heh, heh, heh...)


The kids loved riding on their own... It made them feel all grown up!  They loved riding with their cousins too!


Josh & Ryan sharing the controls!



Matt didn't want to share ;)


Josh & Nate sharing controls....Ryan checkin' out what's behind him!


This ride had really cool looking Red Baron type planes.  They rode this while the adults rode the roller coaster.  More on that in a bit...


Nate & Emily on one of the planes...


All the cousins on the swing...


Emily, Katelynn, Brianna, Matt, Ryan, Josh & Nathan...


This was at the end of the day...cooperation was by a thread...


Everyone make a silly face, quick!


Our summer wasn't just filled with going around out of town...we stayed home and enjoyed some of the more traditional fun things....


Like building a fort in the living room!


We also started swim lessons!


The boys had a blast...we hung out with friends every morning....


We even continued later on during the day and had pool parties...This particular day was 104 degrees at our house...(112 in town), we picked up a pizza, and the Jensen's came over.  Even the Mommy's got in.  

YES.

It was that hot.


Such a fun time...currently playing "Swim America"...I think.  

They rotated back and forth from that and Underwater Spies. ;)


This was DEFINITELY underwater spies.


The boys moved quickly up the levels...this was level 2.


Josh took to the water like a fish.


Matt had fun, but was a bit more reserved.


Lots of fun times dressing up!  Oh the outfits we came up with this summer!


Josh and Matt.  Playing some kind of spy game.  (That is a carseat jetpack Matt has by him.)


Josh has the police scooter.


Traveling incognito, Joshua?!  
Nice glasses boy...go put 'em back in my purse now, please.


What handsome boys!  This was truly a Sunday to celebrate.  Joshua wore a tie!  I had to get a picture of my handsome boys....and cousin Ryan didn't look too shabby either!


We had another first this summer.  Josh got his first sting.  By a wasp - on his neck!  POOR BABY!


Ever want to experience having your heart stop?  Try hearing a blood curdling scream from your child.  That'll get your adrenaline pumping!  Josh was NOT happy, but Daddy promised retribution, and retribution was got!  Sayonara suckers!


Josh stopped crying once Daddy took out all those mean and nasty wasps!


More swimming lessons still....only here we'd progressed to level 3...and the boys' friend Hannah was in their group.  They love Hannah.  Many times we had to say "Hey! Stop flirting and pay attention to teacher!"  Hannah was really missed during the last two weeks of lessons.  She broke her arm.... :( 


The teacher's were awesome.  Well, most of them.  Only one girl did I have a problem with....but really...at 16 or 17 - dealing with no less than twelve 5-9 year olds....I say they can be granted a little leniency.


Matt had a hard time floating...the boy has NO FAT on him!


Joshy had the same problem, but was more than willing to hold his breath and do the strokes under water...


Grandma got him some goggles...and they never came off once he got them.  And we had to try them out at bathtime.


We had lots of time to be silly and goof off....


Especially when it was just us.


Daddy had a few trips to go on without us....Miami, Alabama, Missouri....just to name a few!


Again...the imagination of these boys with the costumes!  Army Police Matt!


Enjoying a well earned lollipop after swim lessons...just passed level 3 - onto level 4!!


Part of the summer - was spent reading or hanging out at the library.  We did the summer reading program and the boys made it!  As a reward, they got a discounted pass to Oaks Park and we went again with the Jensen's....they had passes too.  Matt and Davis were so stoked to go on the roller coaster ride ALL BY THEMSELVES!  {eek!}


Matt loved this boat ride.


Mindy can't do rides that involve going around in circles or upside down...you know...the fun ones. (just kidding Mindy!)  We split up and I took Davis on the twirly-twisty rides that Matt and I love, and Josh went with Mindy and Jack.  We divided.  We conquered.  I have proof with this picture that we went on the Spider - and I only had to tell Davis twice to sit down - as I didn't want to visit the ER or explain to this Mama why we had to go there in the first place!


We went on the train - the boys loved that too.  Jack had a blast sitting by his Mommy....

I loved it because I got to sit in the shade for a minute!  It was another scorcher day when we went!


We went and got an ice cream cone....


Rode on the carousel....


Played some games....


Won some prizes!


Look at those prizes...AWESOME!
 

My best friend Darcy's son Jacob turned 8, and they had the baptism in Portland.  (They're from Washington).  Portland is the halfway point for the families to meet.  Darcy's folks are from Florence, OR, Job & Darcy live in northern Washington....so Portland was the designated spot...which was fortuitous - since that meant I got to be there!  The boys were sick, and we (unlike others) do not like to share the love...so Stann was a sweetheart and stayed home with the boys so I could be there for Jacob's special day.


Darcy's sweet family...!

Joseph, Darcy & Job, Jacob and Abigail.


Darcy's best friend from Washington Camela - Job & Jacob, Abby and Darcy and me.  I was so glad to see my sweet friend after such a long time!!  {Love you Darcy!!!}


Finally, the first day of school came!  
HALLELUJAH! 
I mean...it was sad.  Really, really sad. ;)


The boys got all ready for school...lunches packed, backpacks overloaded with class school supplies...


They rode the bus the first day....and I trailed behind them.


My big FIRST GRADER!


I was really worried about Josh.  He doesn't necessarily transition well.  My worries were completely unfounded though...as his teacher Ms. Spencer came and got him off the bus and then gave him a guided tour and told him all about his day and schedule....I was dismissed within two minutes with a "Bye Mom! Love you!"  Which...truly....is how I wanted it to go...but I gotta tell you - I had a small pang to my heart knowing my baby was now in school and didn't need me quite as much!!!  But no tears were shed!  Which was good - Stann was out of town that day - and for the first week and a half of school, in Alabama. 


Part of the challenge of going back to school has been outfitting the kids.  They have such different personalities and can be....persnickety.

Case in point:  Matt & his backpack.

Do you know how freaking hard it is to find an appropriately priced camouflage backpack?!  We found only ONE in the stores - a Jansport for $35.  Can I inject in here - I didn't get a Jansport backpack until I was freaking 16 or 17 - when I had to buy it myself?!  NO WAY was I buying my first grader one - so thank you Ebay for an authentic digi-camo backpack - and thank you lady who sold the digi-camo name badge that I sewed velcro onto the backpack to make it look more "authentic".  

The things I do for my son! ;)


So proud of their new backpacks!!!


We resumed swimming lessons in the evening...Matt is still in level 4...


But Jr. here passed to level 5.  See his gills?  I swear they are there!


I finally got a new car to replace my van.  It's been a little rocky - getting it driveable.  We got the oil changed before driving to Seattle and the guys changing it spilled oil on the engine.  Being the helpful guys they were they washed it out - but water got in the engine or somewhere and we were 3/4's of the way to Seattle when we started thinking the stupid transmission was going out!  The check engine light came on and it was touch and go (especially with Hunky Hubby's temper) but Jimmy came through for us, as well as David and Curt and helped us get it figured out and we were able to get around and home, safely.  Talk about your close calls and never want to repeat again moments!


Uncle Joshy borrowed his brother Mark's boat and we went out on the river with him. Oh!  So many fun memories made that day!  Matt had a blast going out with Daddy...Joshy...not so much.

Ironic, I know. ;)


He did like his lifejacket though!


They don't remember our boat...but Matt is a champ!  The kid loves the water and rides and just had a great time hanging out with all the big boys!


Stann & David


I had a blast watching Matt.  His face is so expressive!


Stann was adamant that Matt get used to the water.  Every part.  Riding slow, fast, hard, turns, falling out...and Matt was a sport and enjoyed every bit of it!


Matt, Daddy & David


Big Josh & David. 

Oh.  To have recorded it all.  I laughed so hard at all the boys' antics I cried.  Full on streaming tears!  I miss our boat...!


Matt was always impatient for his turn!  Chrissy was reeling them in to switch spots...


David...well, one side of him....and Stann & Matt


ALL aspects of boating.  Stann had them slow the boat down and then he grabbed Matt and put him in the water - so that he'd know what to do if he ever flipped.  Matt didn't mind and just rolled with it.  

Such a trooper!  I'm such a proud Mama!


Some things....well, we don't need to talk about. ;) lol


We had a few frog catching experiences...Matt loved playing with them and Josh wouldn't touch 'em.


Guarding the frogs.


They named him Flappy.
 

Um, yeah.  I married that.

My only disclaimer...he was doing that look on purpose.  Honest to goodness.  He's really not some hillbilly with more brawn than brain.

Usually.


They caught another frog and named it Princess.  

Um, yeah.  I know.


We lost a couple teeth too!  After this came both front teeth!


More pics of the Woodland Park Zoo.  And an appropriate one too!  My monkeys on a monkey.  Okay, it's actually a gorilla.  But you catch my drift.


This is my real-life monkey.  His name is Josh.  Yes, he climbed the bamboo all by himself.  
Yes, he is really that strong.


David & Stann - it really was a nice day when we went...


Enjoying some one-on-one cousin time.  The boys love ALL boats!


Katelynn was perturbed.  She wanted the control.  Matt didn't share so much, so she rode her own later.


Just before the Tilt-O-Whirl...


Man, they let anybody on this train!!

It was such a fun summer!  So much was done...the boys grew so fast!  We kept so busy and we just had a blast!  I can't wait to see what the remainder of this year holds!

0 comments: