“As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey.” ~ Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Monday, April 18, 2011

Philosophically ANNOYED

I dislike Philosophy. 

Though - dislike may not be strong enough!

It annoys me to no end to study this.  In my opinion, philosophy is just the study of what ancient/older, "dense" humans have come up with on their own to explain the purpose of life, in terms that can either excuse or justify their own behaviors and appetites.

I'm pretty much at an impasse with learning in philosophy.  The implication given while I read my textbook is that I need to "open my mind" - but I submit: they need to do the sameMy thinking (which I know and believe to be right) is not strictly logical, nor is it strictly by my heart or spirit.  It's a little of the two combined. 
I currently wish I could jab Q-tips into my ears everytime I hear the implication (which is given over and over again each week) that I'm less than intelligent (aka "idiot"), because I believe in a monotheistic God.  (That I believe in one supreme God and that I've been created in His image).

I seem to spend the majority of my study time - with my eyes crossed, or rolled, as I listen to these views!And!  I now carry a permanent dent in my tongue - from biting it - trying to restrain my "out loud voice"!

Granted, I was raised in an active LDS home.  This is what I've always been taught, what I've chose to pattern my life and family infrastructure after.  But I've always known it was right.  It always rang true!  I've always been able to be still - oh, so still! - still enough to hear the spirit's voice, that voice that is neither loud or quiet, but so very soft - and just be taught.  It resonated so loudly, that when I've heard, researched or even been taught different principles, my spirit recognized the teachings as true!

I feel as though I'm submitting to an abstract kind of mental torture(!), as I sit through these videos, read this book and take this five-credit course!  Would that I saw an out from this course!

As far as I can tell...Philosophy is the study of everything ridiculous, that has been derived from men's (as in the broad scale of human beings...not the male counterpart) imagination and is being paraded around as "truth" of the intellectural kind.

Ugh!

CLEARLY....I'm not cut out to be an intellectualist.  I know I don't know everything.  I know I'll never even come close.  I'm totally okay with being an eternal student. 

I'm really okay with this.

Now, if you'll please excuse me, I have to go take a test on information I'll never use and that I dislike learning about!

1 comments:

The Neads said...

oh LIZ I totally love you! AND.... I totally agree! You are awesome! Philosophy.... BLAHHH!!! haha... Loved your post!