“As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey.” ~ Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Liz 1 / Cabinet 0...

Okay, so, I've got pics - I just can't upload 'em. LOL.

But last week - during the move - MONDAY NIGHT, Stann and I were moving a solid wood pantry from our house - to the garage - to be transported over to my MIL's, to get a little more organized space...

Well...if you didn't know...let me inform you...that moving with small children underfoot, as well as having towers upon towers of boxes stacked up, (ready to be taken to their next destination(s): Storage or Kathie's...)CAN BE HAZARDOUS.

So...I was walking backwards, Matt was jabbering away to Stann (distracting him), I was trying to maneuver between said towers, when I tripped on a box full of books.

I almost caught myself and then lost my balance, landing on my butt, with my foot up on the box...and you guessed it...gravity and the cabinet combined forces against me and landed SQUARE on my foot/ankle area.

I screamed...just so you know.

I cried too - saying to Stann "GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!"

Stann lifted the cabinet like it was nothin'....and all I saw was a goose-egg the size of a softball, on the inside part of my ankle. I wasn't 100% sure if there was bone...but there was blood.

Not too much though. ;)

It hurt more on the side that was smashed against the boxes, than the side that faced full impact from the cabinet.

So....fast forward....

I iced and elevated it for 3 hours that night. But, I still could barely move it. And, well, I had my first "cankle" as Stann called it. You know...where you no longer have a small ankle - one that's curvy with your legs....you know...an appealing kinda shape?! Instead, I had a small, solid tree-trunk of a leg - that was swollen, and just beginning to show signs of bruising. The next day though, I could hardly get around, but I still had kids to get off to school, boxes to pack, well...you get the idea. Not a whole lotta rest time.... :( (Though...I have the best Mom, Sister, Cousin and MIL, ever...! My Mom, my sister DeeDee, cousin Eve, Gigi, Jason & Stann picked up the slack where I couldn't...so I did lotsa packin' from the couch and there abouts, with the help of an air cast...!) And my friend Mindy came to the rescue - and took the boys for 4 hours...which I know can't have been easy...but I soooo appreciated it!!! It kept me off my foot - and I was still able to be busy - albeit - from the couch!!

FINALLY....Wednesday...after Stann finished a small repair job, I went to the doctors.

Two X-Ray's later, I found out...it's not broken...and I was super relieved it wasn't....especially when they told me these type of breaks (around the ankle) typically require surgery to fix....which wasn't gonna bode well, since Stann and I are insurance-LESS at the moment....but I instead have what are referred to as "deep muscle contusions"....

Basically....some really nasty-looking bruises. It took a few days for them to come in....I'll post the pics as soon as I figure out this new set-up (I can't find all my cords...!) but I must say...it's impressive! Black, blue and green....I'm a rainbow of color - and I looked on the outside part of my leg/ankle...and there is an imprint from where my skin came in contact with the box...and you can see its "L" shape. LOL

Which, once I heard that....I was ecstatic! I'm knocking on wood as I say this - but I was more upset about the fact that I'm thirty (*cough-cough*) four (*cough!*) and I've never broken a bone...and I didn't want to start....! And after that encounter....the score's in my favor....

Liz - 1 / Cabinet - ZERO! ;)

And....may I just remind you....drinkin' yer milk, will seriously aid in this people...! {LOL}

I'm sooo glad 'somebody' was watching out for me!! (And, yeah, I know who that somebody is....) This could've gone sooo much worse! And....As it stands now...I'm pretty much pain free. :) I've only taken 2 pain pills, and Ibuprofen, and I've not taken that for 3 days or so....

I've been elevating and I've actually managed to go "cast" free in the evenings....(my "cast" is an air-boot that my mom let me borrow - and I'm lucky she did - the doctor said that was the best thing for it - if I had to be up and about!! AND...I didn't have to rent/buy it...which those things are SPEND-Y!)

At first I was kinda of the attitude "What?!" I mean...I'm only human, so I couldn't help the "SERIOUSLY?! This too?!!!" But after a little more prayerful reflection.....

I can't help but feel really, really blessed....I mean...it could've been worse. :)

Maybe we're being watched out for after all..... ;)

1 comments:

Kelly said...

Perhaps this is the Big Guys way of forcing you to take it easy and slow down a little? I'm a little nervous for the pictures it sounds like a nasty bruise! Hope you feel better soon!