“As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey.” ~ Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Monday, June 16, 2008

The MEN in my life....


Happy Father's Day!

Just thought I'd give some props to the men in my life....

First....my Dad. :) (I got his nose, can you tell?!)

My Dad was my first hero.

No one could jump higher, run faster, or do more. Dad was (and is) larger than life. He encouraged, disciplined and loved us the very best that he could. I've only once ever made my Dad cry (tears of pain). But I've never seen him prouder, than the day I was married in the temple (the first of my siblings), and the days we brought home Matthew and Joshua. Dad was super, duper strict. I've always fondly recollected him as being a drill sergeant/teddy bear.

I've inherited (besides the nose) his leadership skills, temper, mousy brown hair, motivation, a constant leg "jiggle" (if you've ever sat by me you know I'm TOTALLY restless....thus the legs moving up and down CONSTANTLY....this is a constant source of annoyance to my hubby - and something that Dad's passed down to EVERY SINGLE CHILD OF HIS!), the ability to worry about anything and everything, and the "damn the torpedoes" attitude when I believe in something. :) I've also learned from him soooo much! How to properly cast a line on a fishing pole, how to shoot, how to stand up for something I believe in, how to take care of myself (aka fight "dirty"), how to discipline with love, a killer jump shot, and wacky sense of humor.


Thanks Dad. Thanks for staying up late. Thanks for the PPI's. Thanks for the hugs AFTER the spankings. Thanks for loving us and taking care of us. You did good. :)


Now on to my next role model, or next greatest example. If you guessed my Grampa Robertson, then you would be correct! My Grampa taught me A LOT. Granted, sometimes I was embarrassed...(he picked me up from school and in front of EVERYONE made me go pick up a soda can on the ground, #1 because it was worth a nickel, #2 because it was thrown haphazardly onto the ground and that wasn't where it belonged....) but try explaining that to a gangly child who turned bright red at the slightest turn of attention....! I "get" it now...but not so much at 10. I also learned how to tie my shoes from Grampa. Thanks for the bunny ears lesson. ;) My VERY first memory of my grandpa is a CLASSIC. I was mouthing off - and staying the night at Gramma & Grampa's and I told him I DIDN'T have to do what he said, because he wasn't MY DAD. He promptly told me "Ohhhhh Yes You Do!" and turned me over his knee and spanked my bum. (I TOTALLY deserved it). Moving on to the next memory....the way he pronounces my name....it never comes out "Elizabeth". It's ALWAYS come out in his "sing-song" voice - "EEEE-Lizabeth"! Emphasis on the "E". ;0) I can also remember lots and lots of prayers that he would give around the kitchen table at 6AM, when EVERYONE was to be up in their house. No exceptions. On our knees first, having family prayer, then up to the table, having blessing on the food (we got to sit on chairs for that!) eating breakfast and reading scriptures. I kinda borrowed that one for my own family. :) Thanks for the example Grampa. :) I've also learned so much from him just by listening and watching. Okay, so sometimes I tuned him out when he gave me the "save 3 pennies a day, EVERY day for the rest of your life and you'll be a millionaire in a year...." speech - that was correct in THEORY, but soooo not gonna happen. But when it came to gospel questions, answers, etc., I doubt there are few his equal. :) And believe it or not, Grampa, I actually listened sometimes. :) Thanks for that. I really, really do love you. Even if I don't understand what wavelength you're on sometimes, I really do love you. :)


Now on to Stann. This picture pretty much sums

up everything that I love about Stann. :) This was taken in our 2nd year of marriage (with my nephew Luke). He's a GREAT, AWESOME, WONDERFUL, father, and he teaches me DAILY how to be a better Mom. He's an awesome uncle too. :) "Uncle Monkey" is what his brothers' kids call him....very appropriate. :) He can make me laugh - and I LOVE to laugh. He has such wonderful insights - and I love to talk with him about EVERYTHING. He makes me challenge myself - and I'm constantly reconstructing my self image - in hopes to become better. He is a wonderful provider, and has sacrificed sooo much for our family. Even when he exasperates me - I still can't believe I was lucky enough to get to marry HIM! I'm so glad you chose me! ;0) Love you honey! Or to quote Matthew (as Stann has just taught him)...."Hubba-Hubba!"


I've got the BEST MEN in my life. When I look at these guys, I can't help but think, maybe, just maybe, the world isn't so bad after all - especially with the future....with these 3 as the primary influences on my sons, I'm soooo looking forward to the future - to see what impact THEY will have on the lives of others. :)

Happy Father's Day everyone! ;)

1 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy Father's Day!